[CentOS] Re: RADVD and default IPv6 gateway

Tue Jul 15 23:52:11 UTC 2008

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 7-15-2008 4:08 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:
>> the man page for RADVD says:
>>
>>       radvd is the router advertisement daemon for IPv6. It listens
>> to router
>>       solicitations and sends router advertisements as described in
>> "Neighbor
>>       Discovery  for  IP Version 6 (IPv6)" (RFC 2461).  With these
>> advertise-
>>       ments hosts can automatically configure their addresses and
>> some  other
>>       parameters. They also can choose a default router based on
>> these adver-
>>       tisements.
>>

>> But there is nothing I see in man radvd.conf that answers how hosts
>> choose a default router, nor can I find anything else about this.
>>
>> Anyone know the answer or where to get the information???
> I do believe that radvd runs only on the default router, so everyone
> else just waits for the advertising messages.
>
> I found this;
> http://fermiparadox.wordpress.com/2007/02/18/using-radvd/
Thanks for this URL.  But it does not contribute anything on routing.

On further reading of man radvd.conf I find:

       interface name {
            list of interface specific options
            list of prefix definitions
            list of route definitions
       };

       Route definitions are of the form:

       route prefix/length {
            list of route specific options
       };

But there are no examples of 'list of route definitions.

I am guessing that if I want a global default route through the radvd
box using the defaults for the options I add the line:

          route ::/0;

to the interfaces.

Here goes....