[CentOS] Bonding and Xen

Wed Jul 16 07:00:19 UTC 2008
Marc Grimme <grimme at atix.de>

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 22:34:56 Victor Padro wrote:
> Does anyone has implemented this sucessfully?
>
> I am asking this because we are implementing Xen on our test lab machines,
> which they hold up to three 3com and intel Nics 10/100mbps based.
>
> These servers are meant to replace MS messaging and intranet webservers
> which holds up to 5000 hits per day and thousands of mails, and probably
> the Dom0 could not handle this kind of setup with only one 100mbps link,
> and could not afford changing all the networking hardware to gigabit, at
> least not yet.
>
> Any pointers perhaps?
Just go the normal way. As long as you are not using VLANs on top of bonds the
default bridgescripts should do just fine.
Before starting with using a bond as no active/backup configuration I urge you
to read and understand the bonding.txt from the kernel-source:
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt or just
websearcch: bonding.txt
The problem is not to configure the bonding on a linux-machine but to get the
network setup right (Etherchannel, LACP, one switch or multiple switches,
etc.) and know what to expect from which setup.

And last but not least human communication between network guys and os-guys.

That are the biggest problem with bonding in my experience.

-marc.

--
Gruss / Regards,

Marc Grimme