[CentOS] centralized patch management

Wed Jul 16 13:24:49 UTC 2008
Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org>

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 08:08:31AM -0500, Terry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been asked to come up with a strategy for centralized patch
> management of our linux servers.  Today, this is only centos and rhel.
>    What is everyone else doing in this arena?

For RHEL, at work we use RHN Satellite.  For CentOS we don't currently
deploy enough to warrant anything although you might look at CFengine
or puppet.

In addition, Spacewalk is the recently "opened" version of RHN
Satellite and it should be able to run with CentOS.  I don't think it's
a perfect solution yet however as it still requires Oracle on the
back-end and I don't believe you can run it with RHEL and CentOS
machines simultaneously (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

  http://www.redhat.com/spacewalk/

Ray