[CentOS] Lost my madwifi setup

Thu Jul 17 04:47:11 UTC 2008

Kurt Hansen wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Getting closer, see below...
>>
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> I rebuilt my notebook that has the atheros card in it, and forgot to
>>> save all of my setup to get it working.
>>>
>>> I am using dkms and the madwifi rpms from rpmforge.
>>>
>>> My modprobe.conf has a line:
>>>
>>> alias wifi0 ath_pci
>>>
>>> I can ifconfig wifi0 up
>>>
>>> But the command:
>>>
>>> /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant -dd -D madwifi -i wifi0 -c
>>> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>> I think I need a:
>>
>> ifconfig ath0 up
>>
>> And the wpa_supplicant line should be:
>>
>> /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant -B -dd -K -D madwifi -i ath0
>> -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
>>
>> But this is still not working. I think there is something I need to
>> do with wlanconfig?
>>

> I used the directions on this page a couple of days ago:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless
>
> Once I did, I had the wireless working on atheros with wpa2 personal.
NetworkDirector just does not seem to work for me, or at least on the
networks I am on. It might have to do in this case that there are over a
dozen APs scanable with the SSID of IEEE.

I have just NOT had success with NetworkDirector. I have read posts here
that others have had similar problems. And over on the Gnome Network
Manager list, there are lots of problems noted with the version we have
for Centos, so we have to live with our short-comings.

I made some progress but still do not have it all back together again.