[CentOS] Replacing custom kernel with another - with same identifier

Thu Jul 17 08:16:40 UTC 2008
ne... <guhvies at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 08:05, Antti J. Huhtala <ahuhtal4 at welho.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I just finished building a custom kernel from 2.6.18-53.1.21 source rpm
> - this time with ISA bus and ISAPNP support which I accidentally left
> out of my previous attempt.
> Unfortunately, this time I forgot to change my identifier in
> kernel-2.6.spec file. Thus I now have one *installed* kernel version
> *without* ISA support, and another one *with* ISA support but as rpm,
> not yet installed. Both kernels now have identical identifiers.
>
> What is the safe way to remove the previous installed kernel version
> without taking out the uninstalled new version? Is the latter safe in
> ~/rpmbuild/RPMS if I use 'rpm -e' to remove the former version?
There is no need to remove the old kernel. Use the --replacefiles option to
rpm when installing the new kernel. Then verify that your grub.conf/lilo.conf
has the correct entry.

--
Laurence J. Peter  - "Originality is the fine art of remembering what
you hear but forgetting where you heard it."