[CentOS] Replacing custom kernel with another - with same identifier

Thu Jul 17 16:58:59 UTC 2008
ne... <guhvies at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:19, Antti J. Huhtala <ahuhtal4 at welho.com> wrote:
> to, 2008-07-17 kello 09:16 +0100, ne.. kirjoitti:
>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 08:05, Antti J. Huhtala <ahuhtal4 at welho.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > What is the safe way to remove the previous installed kernel version
>> > without taking out the uninstalled new version? Is the latter safe in
>> > ~/rpmbuild/RPMS if I use 'rpm -e' to remove the former version?
>> There is no need to remove the old kernel. Use the --replacefiles option to
>> rpm when installing the new kernel. Then verify that your grub.conf/lilo.conf
>> has the correct entry.
>>
> Well, it wasn't as simple as that. rpm says:"kernel ... is already
> installed" and will not go on. The identifiers (file names) are
> identical, remember?
Bummer, wrong option. From rpm --help
  --replacepkgs                    reinstall if the package is already present

And what Mr Hughes wrote will also work.

--
Laurence J. Peter  - "Originality is the fine art of remembering what
you hear but forgetting where you heard it."