[CentOS] configuration request

Fri Jul 18 20:39:07 UTC 2008
MJT <centos at mjt1.com>

On Friday 18 July 2008 12:56:30 pm Sam Drinkard wrote:
> I've apparently gotten myself into somewhat of a bind.  I've been trying
> to exclude various packages from the different repos, and while I
> *think* I've gotten a working configuration again, it it still pulling
> stuff in that I have excluded I think in the right repos, but things I
> have no use for whatsoever.  Items like kernel-hugemem-devel,
> kernel-hugemem, and anything involving kernel development.  I run a
> stock kernel and am not doing any building of any kind at this point.
> The machine is an i-686 machine, and a single processor.

OK, I'm still new to centos, so I could have a misunderstanding of this so
others may feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

First, which version of centos are you using? Also, how much memory are you
using? "hugemem" means "huge memory" and, to my understanding was introduced
to allow for memory in excess of 4 GB. If your system has over 4 GB, it could
be loading that kernel because that is what you need.

The kernel headers or kernel development may well be need at the time of
install. In another distribution I used, to install and use nvidia video card
drivers, the install script requires the kernel headers to build the
appropriate module or some such thing. It has been a while since I installed
the OS, so I don't recall the specifics.

As I have said, I'm new to centos and not sure how things are done in this
part of the Linux world, so don't take my word as gospel and I' won't get
offended if someone corrects me.