[CentOS] Re: preferred software RAID 10?

Fri Jul 18 21:47:40 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-17-2008 3:46 PM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
> Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>>> Ok, so how do I do this? Let's say I have 4x 160GB HDD's now, and
>>> plan on replacing them with 4x 500GB HDD's in the future?
>>>

>> Personally I would never put an OS install on a higher RAID then RAID1,
>> because it gets too messy to upgrade like you suggested.
>>
> So you're suggesting that I keep the OS separate from the data? But what
> happens if both the 1st 2 drives with the OS fails, or needs to be
> replaced?

Raid is not a substitute for backup. It is just an availability measure.
What if the entire box shorts and catches fire? What if the power supply
shorts and sends 110 volts over the 5 volt lines? I have had both of these
scenarios in 20 years of IT.

>>> What setup would help with a upgrade in the future?

>>> I understand this, but how do you boot from /boot2 on the second HDD
>>> if the 1st have failed?
>>>

>> Could you not get a system that had 2 drives for the OS and 4 drives
>> for data?
>>
> nope, unfortunately not. It's a 2U rackmount chassis with space for only
> 4 HDD's. I have been thinking about installing the OS onto a USB memory
> stick, but have never actually got as far as trying to figure out how
> todo it.
Maybe a CF adapter, but not a USB stick. USB has a very high latency because
it is PIO and not DMA.
>> I have setup 4 disk RAID10 systems before, but they were never
>> intended to be upgraded (in place at least).
>>
>> I can forward a couple of recipes, but let me first say that to do
>> it from the CentOS install media requires 2 RAID1s and LVM striping
>> because the RAID10 option isn't on the media, but it is functionally
>> equivalent both in useable space and performance.
>>
> Please share your recipes, I'd like to give it a try  :)

A pair of raid 1's with LVM properly striped across them should be fairly
equal to raid 10 in speed and latency. The raid 10 code is still fairly
immature in the MD drivers. You could set aside a small bit of space on all 4
drives for a raid 1 boot partition and put everything else in LVM. CentOS
seems to install everything but boot in LVM by default anymore.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and