[CentOS] Load Average ~0.40 when idle

Mon Jul 21 17:00:25 UTC 2008
listmail <listmail at entertech.com>

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:20:53 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 4:52 PM, listmail <listmail at entertech.com> wrote:
<snip
> > OK, I downloaded the CentOS 5.2 Live CD and booted from it. To eliminate
> > load from the GUI, I forced the system into runlevel 3 and ran top.
> > I see the same problem; the load average sits at about 0.40 continuously.
> > This is with the ethernet drivers running, and it does not matter if the
> > network cables are plugged in or not.
> >

> Ok sorry for the wild goose chase earlier...
>
> 1. Check with the manufacturer or motherboard to see if this is a
> known issue. Sometimes these items show up and are fixed with a BIOS
> update.
> 2. Check to see if you can pinpoint where the problem is coming
> from... set up sar and iostat to see if there are excessive irq's on
> one line or another. Run the system as a minimal OS when doing
> this... nothing but init 1 if possible.
> 3. Try Fedora 9 livecd and see if it still occurs. If it doesn't
> then the problem was fixed in the main kernel between EL-5 and now. That
> can help make it easier to track down for a bug in Red Hat's bugzilla.

I cannot find relevant support notes on either the Supermicro or Intel sites,
but I'll send an email to Supermicro support to see if they know anything.

I used vmstat to compare interrupt and context switch rates on a system
with the issue and a system without the issue (older kernel). Both systems
show an irq rate of about 1000/sec and cs rate of about 25/sec.

The system that does not exhibit the problem is running 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5,
so it seems to be something that has changed since that time frame
(early CentOS 5.1, I think).

Thanks,
--Bill