[CentOS] Printer recommendations

Tue Jul 22 16:22:22 UTC 2008
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

Ron Loftin wrote:

> I'm considering a color laser printer
> instead of the inkjets that I've been using, and I'm dithering back and
> forth over the question of direct-connect or networked printer.

In that case, I'd get something with Postscript support.  The "native"
printer language driver will usually be a lot faster, but having the
Postscript option will you use the printer when the native driver isn't
available to you.  Plus, Postscript is useful in and of itself,
especially on Linux, where so many programs speak Postscript.

I really like hardware duplexing and built-in networking, now that both
are reasonably priced.

Avoid ink jet unless you need photo quality printing.  Laser is faster,
cheaper in the long run, and gives sharper printouts.

Consider Xerox's solid ink printers.  They're even faster than laser,
and quality is a toss-up relative to laser: they don't do really thin
lines very well, but overall quality almost looks like offset printing.
   It's only when it comes to photos that professional printing can
exceed one of these printers.  Cost per page is a little higher than
laser, but it's hard to argue with the speed and quality.