[CentOS] how do I stop X / gnome via SSH?

Wed Jul 23 08:35:14 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Paul Bijnens wrote:
>
>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I need to disable / stop X from running on a remote server, to which I
>>> only have SSH access, and I have never done this before. So, can
>>> someone please tell me how todo it?
>>>
>> telinit 3
>>

> This will cause the server to switch from runlevel 5 (which includes X) to
> runlevel 3 (which does not). _But_ a small warning here: runlevel 3 may very
> well differ in more ways that just lacking X. Depending on how your server is
> configured you may shutdown some services you wanted to keep (you may also
> start new ones you didn't expect).
>
> To further investigate what you server does indeed run in runlevel 3 and 5
> study relevant columns from the command: "chkconfig --list".
>
> /Peter

Thanx, I did notice it, but since this is a Xen server, with everything
running on the domU VM, I need very little running on the main server as
it is. So I have disabled a lot of unnecessary services as well.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff