[Fwd: [CentOS] fail2ban needs shorewall?]

Wed Jul 23 19:31:12 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Andylockran wrote on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:43:45 +0100:

> If you do have an issue with fail2ban, it does pretty much the same thing.

fail2ban from rpmforge works fine. It's missing the filter for dovecot,
though, and got wrong filters for many other services.

Here are some that I just figured out:

dovecot:/var/log/secure
failregex = dovecot-auth: pam_unix\(dovecot:auth\): authentication failure;
* rhost=<HOST>

sasl:/var/log/maillog
failregex = postfix\/smtpd\[\d+\]: warning: unknown\[<HOST>\]: SASL LOGIN
authentication failed:

vsftpd:/var/log/secure
failregex = vsftpd: .* authentication failure; .* rhost=<HOST>

I noticed that there are several failregex in the conf files that end with
$. However, if I try that my rules fail, although they look like perfectly
valid regex, so I'm not matching until the end of line.

Someone else can add to the list?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany