[CentOS] Re: IPCop updates, Evolution Calendar rarely crashes now

Mon Jul 28 17:08:55 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-26-2008 1:05 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva-m4n3GYAQT2lWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> on 7-24-2008 5:36 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> <snip>
>> At work, you
>>> do the reboot at  3 A.M.  or you have users who are furious, or you
>>> send them a message the network is going down temporarily?
>>>
>> I usually have to do updates like that on the weekends, as I can't depend on
>> a 3AM reboot to be up in the morning when Exec's are in. A reboot I trust,
>> but not the first one after a kernel change. On a weekend I can drive in and
>> see what happened if necessary and switch to a backup router.
>> In our main office I have 2 running side by side and I can log in to the T1
>> router and change switch ports to swap them. Then a reboot on the router to
>> hasten the MAC changeover. Usually 5 minutes tops.
>
> Thank you for the explanation! I wondered, if you would trust it, to
> come back up, if you scheduled a reboot for 3 A.M.

I just had a perfect example this morning. One of the routers didn't come back
up after the upgrades and remote reboot yesterday. I had to have someone at
the site powercycle the equipment. Still much easier than having to drive over
there myself.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and