[CentOS] Re: Hardware serial number access from (a) command(s)

Mon Jul 28 21:20:21 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-28-2008 12:10 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Alex <ethericalzen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:26:30 -0700
>> MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> took out a #2 pencil and scribbled:
>>
>>> Over the weekend, I had to make a technical support call on one
>>> of my DVD burners, and at one point the recorded message
>>> mentioned I should have my serial number handy.  I thought there
>>> was a way to read that from at least one piece of software on the
>>> system, but I couldn't remember one and man -k on a number of
>>> subjects was unrevealing.
>>>
>>> Can someone enlighten me (us)?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> mhr
>> You can try hdparm -i /dev/yourdevice
>>
>> You may need to run this as root. There is a field for Serial
>> Number, but for my devices no serial number is provided. This may
>> not help you, but it could work.
>>
>> Output from my system:
>>
>> [prata at crane ~]$ sudo hdparm -i /dev/hdc
>>
>> /dev/hdc:
>>
>> Model=Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-106S 011, FwRev=E1.14,
>> SerialNo= Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs
>> nonMagnetic }.....other info is there but is not relevant.
>
> Mark: Try that! On my Desktop, it gives me the SN for the HD (hda),
> but the space for
> SN is blank, for hdc (DVD reader) and hdd (CD-RW). . If you are lucky,
> on your box, it will give you the SN for the DVD
> burner. Lanny
I don't think most optical drive manufacturers embed serial numbers in their
drives. Hard drives are different, as their testing process lets them change
something like a serial number, but an optical drive would require a custom
firmware to be created and then loaded to the drive. That would slow the process.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and