[CentOS] Centos 5.0 package updater asking me to update more than I installed

Tue Jul 29 12:26:12 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Mark Walker wrote on Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:58:37 -0700:
>
>> When I get the list of packages to be updated, there are things that I
>> don't recognize having installed.
>
> Nevertheless, they probably *are* installed. There's a lot been installed
> during setup and because of dependencies. rpm -q packagename tells you
> more.

These can all tell you more:

rpm -qa | sort > installed_rpms

then edit that file ... this is everything installed on you machine.

You can also look at the file named:  /root/install.log (that is what is
installed by anaconda).

Just for the record, the absolutely minimal install you can do in
centos-5 from the installer (if not using a special kickstart file) has
169 RPM packages and is 670MB (and this install has no real gui software
at all) ... my current workstation has 921 RPM packages installed, and
there are 2458 RPM packages in the Base CentOS-5 OS repository.