[CentOS] Centos 5.0 package updater asking me to update more than I installed

Tue Jul 29 12:31:04 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Mark Walker wrote:
> Here's what I'm doing.  In the gui environment, gnome, there's a box in
> the upper right corner that reports about updates available every once
> in a while.  I click on it and I get something called "Package Updater"
> that lists the packages that can be updated according to the server, I
> believe yum, it's querying.  I'm not sure exactly what the Application
> name is, but that's what the title bar says.  Sorry, I'm not an expert
> on gnome, so I'm having trouble tracking down what the actual app is.
> My guess is that it's Yumex or some close relative.
>
> When I get the list of packages to be updated, there are things that I
> don't recognize having installed.  For instance a package called
> "metacity," which apparently is a window manager.  I understand there
> could be dependencies that need to be installed, but that is usually
> dealt with after yum downloads and queries the actual packages isn't it?

No, yum works with you current package list and metadata ... it will
include any dependencies in the initial calculation.  However, the
output will show "Installed for Dependencies" in a separate section than
the files it is going to update.

> Is the main "Package Updater" designed to just give you the packages you
> installed or does it give you everything that's available from the
> server it's talking to?
>
> Thanks.
>

> MHR wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Mark Walker <furface at omnicode.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is this the standard behavior?  Is there a way to only update the
>>> packages I
>>> installed without deselecting the ones I don't want?

yum only updates packages that are installed, it does not update
packages that are not installed (well .. it will install dependencies if
required)