[CentOS] Re: Hardware serial number access from (a) command(s)

Tue Jul 29 16:43:57 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-28-2008 6:26 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva-m4n3GYAQT2lWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> <snip>

> <snip>
>>> Mark: Try that! On my Desktop, it gives me the SN for the HD (hda),
>>> but the space for
>>> SN is blank, for hdc (DVD reader) and hdd (CD-RW). . If you are lucky,
>>> on your box, it will give you the SN for the DVD
>>> burner. Lanny
>> I don't think most optical drive manufacturers embed serial numbers in their
>> drives. Hard drives are different, as their testing process lets them change
>> something like a serial number, but an optical drive would require a custom
>> firmware to be created and then loaded to the drive. That would slow the
>> process.
>
> That probably explains why when I tried it, there were no serial numbers for my
> opticlal drives. I always see an SN for a HD, when running diagnostics on them.
> Sounds like Mark is going to need to pull the bad DVD burner anyway, so when he
> does, he can read the SN on the label and get an RMA for it.
I would have tried also, because now the system needs to come apart twice
unless you just buy a new one and let the replacement be a spare.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and