[CentOS] xfs on 5.2 (live cd + dvd)

Tue Jul 29 20:48:03 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Michael Kress wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning a server migration and being able to mount xfs file systems
> with the live cd would be a cruical feature.
> So before I download and try ... can anyone tell me whether the xfs is
> included in the 5.2 live cd?

I do not know if the standard xfs modules in extras will work or not.
You can boot the CD and try to install them.

> Later on I'm planning to install a new system with xen, 3ware 9550SX-4LP
> and xfs. The xen domains are of course located on xfs partitions.
> Do these features come with the standard dvd or do I have to build a
> custom kernel for that?

There are xfs modules and tools for centos in centos-extras ... so you
can install them for the main kernel.

> Under centos-4.5 I chose xfs for performance reasons. With 5.2, is it
> still the fs of choice when it comes to performance or do you have
> better recommendations? (It will be a combined web and mail server with
> moderate traffic, i.e. not toooo much but not tooo little).

XFS is not supported by Red Hat ... and it does not recover from loss of
power very well.  The only way I would recommend XFS is if your have
tried to run it on ext3 and it will not work without the performance
increase you can get with XFS.  (All the performance in the world does
not matter if you loose your partition on a loss of power).