[CentOS] X-Windows Login

Wed Jul 30 03:02:42 UTC 2008
Alex <ethericalzen at gmail.com>

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:41:57 -0700 (PDT)
Al Sparks <data345 at yahoo.com> took out a #2 pencil and scribbled:

> I have a server with all the x-windows stuff installed.  But it's
> giving me a text based login prompt on the console.
>
> I can log onto the console, and run
>     gnome-session
>
> and GNOME comes up fine.  How do I turn it on so that I get a
> X-Window GUI login prompt?
>   === Al

What runlevel are you in? If X is installed but you're booting (or
running) at runlevel 3 you will not have a graphical login.

To see what runlevel you are in try 'runlevel' without quotes. This
will tell you what you are currently in. If you wish to see the
graphical login run 'telinit 5' without quotes which will start it
up for you. You will need to be root (or use sudo) to do this.

Be aware that changing runlevels may start services you did not
have started in the previous runlevel. It may also stop services
that you did have running in the previous runlevel. Be mindful of
those services.

You can edit the various runlevels and also view what runs in each
one by using 'ntsysv --level n' n would be the level in question.
For instance, 'ntsysv --level 3' will show you and allow you to
edit what starts. You may also use chkconfig to accomplish this.

If you want to change the default runlevel for your machine you'll
need to edit /etc/inittab and change the line id:3:initdefault:
(this entry may differ in the number displayed)
to id:5:initdefault: (this runlevel starts X11 on boot).

HTH

Alex White

ethericalzen at gmail.com
Life is a prison, death is a release