[CentOS] syslog question

Wed Jul 30 06:07:00 UTC 2008
Bart Baars <centos at bartbaars.nl>

rsyslog will create a file /var/log/system-<hostname>.log as soon as messages are received from <hostname>..

I have spend a couple of hours on rsyslog yesterday.. The version in RHEL/CentOS doesn't appear to be very complete (no tls for example?).. since only the mysql-module is included

syslog-ng is very good as well, a little easier to config.

Cheers,

Bart

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Pifer" <jep at obrien-pifer.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:31:53 PM GMT +01:00 Amsterdam / Berlin / Bern / Rome / Stockholm / Vienna
Subject: Re: [CentOS] syslog question

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 12:52 -0600, Milton Calnek wrote:

> James Pifer wrote:
> | Yeah, that was pretty easy. Any way to get it to save logs from
> | different hosts to specific files?
>
> You need rsyslog for that.
> I believe that FC9 has an rpm for it. There are other places to find
> one as well. KB may have one in his repo.

Okay, I have rsyslog running and regular syslog stopped. Also
chkconfig'ed them.

I added this to /etc/rsyslog.conf:
$template DynaFile,"/var/log/system-%HOSTNAME%.log"
*.* -?DynaFile

The log that gets created for my router is called:
system-Tue,.log

So I've been trying to modify it using a different propnames instead of
%HOSTNAME%. So far all I get for a result is:
system-**INVALID PROPERTY NAME**.log

In upper and lower case I've tried:
source
fromhost