[CentOS] Re: You didn't give me some packages, so now I'm giving you some! R, TexLive, LyX, Gnumeric, etc.

Wed Jul 30 09:13:31 UTC 2008
Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net>

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 07:50:51PM -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I'm offering to share that back to you, but if you don't need it,
> that's fine.

regarding rpmrepo, we are still in infancy otherwise I'd say go on
submit the packages there! I'm sure many people will find your
packages useful!

At rpmrepo we did some serious thinking about how to please bleeding
edge *and* conservative users by offering different repo cuts that are
controlled by tagging (for example the conservative packaged R would
get a different tag than a more recent possibly incompatible or broken
version of it and the repo creation scripts would use that tag to
distinguish repo assignment).

We are not there yet, so as others have advised try submitting to the
merging-into-rpmrepo repos (too many "r"s, I guess :), and they will
land into rpmrepo eventually (with you as a maintainer). Or create
your own repo. Contact me off-list if you need online space.

You (and others, of course) can also help lifting rpmrepo into
production status by joining the mailing lists. We must admit that we
have been on hiatus for a while, but it's time to move on and anyone's
energy invested in there is greatly appreciated!

In a nutshell: Please submit your packages to one of the merging
repos, or setup your own and merge later into repmrepo yourself.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net