[CentOS] Widescreen monitor won't configure to a wide screen

Wed Jul 30 17:04:59 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

> I wonder if this is related to a problem I had, 1 or 2 years ago,
> where system-config-display (?) said that it was updating xorg.conf,
> but, in fact, it did not update it.  Sometimes the GUIs do not work as
> advertised. There was some command which ended in --rebuild (?) to
> generate a completely new xorg.conf file. Possibly that would help
> you, with part of this problem?

'spossible, but I usually wind up tweaking it by hand 'cuz it needs it AFAICT.

However, to s-c-d's credit, I have checked the output xorg.conf after
running it, and the file seems to be set up right, or at least not any
more wrong than I would have, and it still doesn't work.

I've had to tweak xorg.conf by hand every time to get it right.  Not
sure why....

Thanks.

mhr