[CentOS] Windows XP fixmbr from Centos?

Wed Jul 30 18:31:16 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Scott Silva wrote on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:49:42 -0700:

> I am wondering if any standard Microsoft boot sector might work. I could
> probably e-mail you a CD image of a dos 7.1 bootdisk if "fdisk /mbr" would
> work. I have never tried it, and maybe I'll quickly fire up a VM image of XP
> and try it.

This won't work as it doesn't know what to load next. In case this info helps
Robert:
You need the XP (or NT) MBR plus the following files in the root of the boot
disk: boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM, ntldr
These are in the root of any XP file system and can just be copied.
boot.ini contains which harddisk partition to boot and may need editing
according to the partition structure on the disk.
This will then load from any bootable disk (floppy, USB, harddisk) and
subsequently load the OS on that partition. On a non-encrypted filesystem.
You can make a bootable diskette (with that MBR) from within XP by formatting
the diskette and checking the option to make it a system disk. However, I doubt
this will work for USB sticks etc.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany