[CentOS] enterprise backup solution (probably amanda?)

Wed Jul 30 19:01:11 UTC 2008
Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com>

> If a disk based archive will work, backuppc (
> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) is fairly painless and it's scheme of
> compression and hardlinking duplicates lets you keep about 10x the history
> you'd expect.  If you need offsite copies you'll have to run an independent
> instance elsewhere or come up with a clever scheme to copy the disk though.
>  The massive number of hardlinks it creates makes it difficult to use normal
> methods to copy the archive partition.

We use backuppc in production.  It has awesome compression, and a great web
gui that you can use to restore individual files or file trees.  I have even
used it on occasion to rebuild an entire Linux server from bare metal (I had
to install the base OS first, but it worked!)

As Les mentioned, due to the huge number of files and hard links you will
run into problems copying the backuppc files off to tape or external USB
drive if you try to use rsync or cp for this.  Depending on the amount of
data you are working with, you might whip up a script that unmounts your
backuppc storage partition, and images the entire thing to an external media
with dd_rescue.