[CentOS] Re: usb to usb comm ports - possible? how?

Wed Jul 30 21:42:43 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

James B. Byrne wrote:
>  The purpose of the
> serial connection is to permit a laptop to substitute for a
> monitor/kb/mouse on site in that eventuality.  If it proves too cumbersome
> to enable direct host to host communications via usb then we will simply
> ship a 15" flat screen, kb and mouse with the unit and have them returned
> afterwards.

or, use commercial servers with integrated TCP kvm's such as HP's iLO,
Dell's DRAC, Sun's ILOM, etc.   These provide virtual consoles and
CD/DVD's over IP where the client side just needs a java enabled web
browser.      they generally have their own ethernet ports for this, and
you assign them a dedicated IP address.   most require SSL (https:) to
connect, so are quite secure.