[CentOS] File system goes read-only once in a while

Thu Jul 31 11:03:59 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 10:08 +0300, Mufit Eribol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My Centos 5.2 server (5.1 suffered the same problem as well) has a
> logical volume on a RAID 10 array (4 SATA harddisks on a Highpoint
> RR2310 controller). /etc/fstab has an entry for this array as below
> /dev/raid_vg0/raid_lv0  /mnt/raid               ext3    defaults        0 0
>
> Normally it works OK. But, file system of "this volume" once in a while
> goes "read only" mode. The RAID software reports no problem with the
> hard disks. After reboot, the system comes back in normal rw mode.

If it happens again, you may be able to avoid the reboot with

    mount -o remount,rw /mnt/raid

As to your "how to check production ...", easy. The trade-off (down
time, reboot, ...) makes it easy to decide to knock users down, umount
the FS, run the check, remount, tell users they can go again.

> <snip>

> Mufit
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH