[CentOS] out of memory

Thu Jul 31 21:18:41 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 10:16 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> <snip>

> but on July 27 - the day I updated - no users in office - same time
> period, the kbswpfree starting swinging wildly.
>
> But sar doesn't tell me which program is leaking memory but perhaps it
> was just the update without reboot that was the issue.

Regardless of users in the office, if they left themselves logged in the
old version of libs/programs would have to be kept on the system and in
memory (or swap). If your users were like mine used to be, that's
likely. Then as users began logging in/out the systems would have two
versions of many libs/prgms active at the same time. Result is likely at
least a doubling of mem/swap usage because of very little shared code.

--
Bill