[CentOS] Port Closing Question..

Thu Jul 31 21:33:08 UTC 2008
Ryan Nichols <rnichols430 at gmail.com>

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> Ryan Nichols wrote:
>
>> Is there a software avail or a process that will monitor two ports and
>> if there is no traffic close them so the program that is using them can
>> reuse them?  I talked to the vendor and they told me I needed to do this
>> on the NAT/Firewall , but I dont see anything like that on my router. So
>> any suggestions ideas?
>>

> Can you elaborate some more on the application in question and the
> problem you are experiencing.
>
> Typically network applications reuse the ports they are registered
> on, and if they didn't the only way to reuse them would be to kill
> and restart the process, so it may be that that isn't the problem
> after all, but more information is needed.
>
> -Ross

> This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by
> the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged
> and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient
> of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto,
> is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
> please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the
> original and any copy or printout thereof.

  This error will occur when the TCP connection between the Backup
Server and Replication server is closed prematurely by an external force
when the replication is in progress. The replication for the jobs will
fail and in the StoreGrid replication server, the socket connection
remains open and the replication server thinks that the replication job
is still running. Please check if there are open socket connections from
the backup server in the replication server.

  In the next replication schedule, the application will try to reset
the active status in the replication server. If the resetting of the
replication active status completes successfully, then the backup server
will continue the replication. In the subsequent schedule the active
replication status will be reset and Backup Server should proceed
replication without any issue.

  In the current version , you can workaround this issue by setting the
idle socket timeout value in the replication server's NAT/router
setting. By doing this, the backup server idle socket connections will
be automatically closed by the replication server's NAT/router.
Currently there is no socket timeout value for the idle sockets in the
replication server. We do have plans to do this in our future release.

  As a workaround, please try restarting the replication Server once and
see if still the replication is in progres

-Thats a quote from the tech support folks.. So every 12-14hrs I go into
my replication server, shut down the services and restart them after the
netstat shows the ports are closed.. and we carry on..

Thanks,
Ryan Nichols