[CentOS] settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Tue Jul 1 06:07:55 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> David Mackintosh wrote:

>>> Sorry, these computers are in production now so I can't fiddle with
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Besides, this would be a "long" upgrade -- they are both CentOS 4.x
>>> systems.

>> This raises an interesting question. What do you do in this kind of
>> scenario? How do you upgrade a NAS / SAN with say 5 / 10 TB worth of
>> data?
>
> I haven't done anything that big, but I normally put the OS on a small
> mirrored pair of swappable drives so an upgrade consists of swapping
> those drives with a new set pre-installed in a spare chassis.  That
> way you are only down for the time it takes to reboot and if anything
> goes wrong you can put the old set back.  In any case you wouldn't be
> doing anything to the data partitions in an upgrade.

ok, so in your setup the OS is totally separate from the data itself?

So, I guess I need to rethink my setup. Since I have a 2U chassis, which
can only take 6 drives, I guess I should maybe look into running the OS
from a USB memory stick or something.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers