[CentOS] how to create an mpeg4 mimetype (OT)

Wed Jul 2 18:44:58 UTC 2008
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 19:26:51 Phil Savoie wrote:
> nate wrote:
> > Phil Savoie wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I think this may be off topic, but since it's through centos 5.2, I'm
> >> not sure.
> >>
> >> Here is what I would like to do:
> >>
> >> I have created a web page for family to log into and view clips of my
> >> new niece.  My camera saves these clips in mpeg4 format.  What I would
> >
> > What's the file extension? If you name it .mpg it should automatically
> > get a mime type of video/mpeg according to /etc/mime.types
> >
> > nate
>
> Hi Nate,
>
> The extension is ".mp4"

If you use kde this should be easily fixed.  In kcontrol, KDE Components >
File associations. put 'mpg' into the search box.  When the entry comes up
you should be able to add 'mp4' as another type that is to be treated in the
same way, that is, played back by the same applications.

Anne