[CentOS] Re: settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

Wed Jul 2 22:35:44 UTC 2008
Victor Padro <vpadro at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>               Paired with Lexar CF cards. Not all CF is created equal,
>> well
>>               maybe it is
>>               today. I found my Lexar CF cards were 5-10x faster than my
>>               Kingston cards
>>               of the same size, which surprised me. Not that I need high
>>               performance in
>>               firewalls that do no disk I/O but it was painful for the OS
>>               install to
>>               take hours(Kingston) instead of minutes(Lexar). Both
>>        pairs of CF
>>               cards
>>               are a few years old, today maybe everything out there is
>>        reasonably
>>               fast.
>>
>>               At least with the above adapters be aware that those
>>        adapters above
>>               do stick up. I think a 2U chassis can fit them(I have tons
>> of
>>               experience
>>               in supermicro systems). But no guarantees. You may need
>>        another
>>               adapter
>>               or perhaps a male to female IDE cable so that you can
>>        mount it
>>               another
>>               way in the chassis.
>>
>>               I suppose you could even get two and run RAID.
>>
>>               Just don't put your swap on the flash if you can avoid it.
>>
>>               nate
>>

>>               ______________________________________________
>>
>>           Thanx, nate
>>
>>           That's a good suggestion, but I think the USB memory sticks
>> could
>>           work better / more reliable, and will be easier to access in the
>>           cabinet. I'll play around with it a bit and see how it works.
>>

>>           --
>>           Kind Regards
>>           Rudi Ahlers
>>           CEO, SoftDux
>>
>>           Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com
>>           Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux
>> or
>>           other technical stuff, or visit
>>        http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for
>>           Web Hosting stuff

>>        Hi,
>>
>>        (I apologize in advance if someone thinks this is OT)
>>
>>        I've been reading this thread since it started, and what I could
>>        really say is you should go for freenas, it can be installed in
>>        a matter of minutes in a usb pendrive, I use it on a 2gb
>>        kingston one using an IBM eServer tower chassis, Intel D201GLY2
>>        mainboard, 1Gb 667Mhz RAM, 2 HDs those are 750gb SATA in RAID5
>>

>>    2 drives in raid5? Then it is really only a raid 0, and will fail
>>    sooner or later.
>>

>> Even if it's fake RAID5(RAID software)?
>> Didn't know that.
>>
> Raid 5 need a minimum of 3 drives. The only way to get 2 drives in software
> raid is to create the array with the "missing" statement.
> With only 2 drives, you have a stripe with a failed parity.
>
> So 2 drives is already missing one, and the next failure is doom.

Then I will have to backup  ASAP and re install the Array in Raid1, thank
you scott.
But the odd thing its that I've never had any errors regarding RAID or even
HDs.
Will recheck my config.