[CentOS] sticky folder permissions

Tue Jul 22 15:32:49 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 15:55 +0100, Tom Brown wrote:
> >> Is there any way i can make /opt world readable and make sure these
> >> permissions stick to all subfolders and not allow users other than
> >> root/sudo to change them?
> >>

> > Make it a seperate filesystem mounted read-only, then remount it rw when
> > you need to make changes.
> >

> i cant as the applications need to log there - i just need 'everyone' to
> be able to read there - i would have thought i could somehow stick the
> read permissions but it seems that perhaps not.

The only possibilities I see quickly are using chattr and/or acl lists
(seems more promising, but not sure as I didn't take the time to really
understand the *implied* results).

$ man -k acl
acl                  (5)  - Access Control Lists
acl                 (rpm) - Access control list utilities.
chacl                (1)  - change the access control list of a file or
directory
getfacl              (1)  - get file access control lists
libacl              (rpm) - Dynamic library for access control list
support.
setfacl              (1)  - set file access control lists

"man chattr".

A *brief* scan doesn't yield an obvious simple solution though. But as
mentioned, there may be some implications that might "git 'er done".

> <snip>

HTH
--
Bill