[CentOS] Re: Mounting File Share Using CIFS ?'s

Wed Jul 30 20:45:02 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 7-30-2008 1:04 PM TechGuy spake the following:
> Akemi,
>
> I know with most mailing lists its common practice to flame every
> newbie with "read" something emails.  But in this case I have been
> reading, and I think maybe if you had read my email below and my post
> you pointed out you would have realized that I have been reading and
> trying.
>
> As for the man page for mount.cifs it is garbage to a newbie. It
> really is.  Sure it gives you all the various switches / arguments but
> that is really it.
>
> Show me where in the man page does it even mention /etc/fstab ?
>
> Your reply served absolutely no purpose and helped in no way.
>
> I believe I asked valid questions on understanding what I have done so
> far and how things work, I didn't ask for "how do I do this... or
> that".
>
> Sorry you feel I have wasted your time.

I'm just going to flame you for top posting, but you should still be slightly
numb from the last flaming. If you want your post at the top, delete the rest
of the message.

Your mount should work, but you should test it thoroughly using sudo as
different users and trying to read and write to the share. Then look at the
directory from the windows machine and make sure your changes are there.

You will have to forgive the developers if they are sometimes short, but it
takes a lot of time to support a full linux distribution, and they usually are
here during their "free" time after a long day of work and then coming home to
the demands from the "other bosses".

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and