[CentOS] XFS install issue

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Mon Jun 2 12:03:07 UTC 2008

Linux wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>> I also normally build all the extras kmods while I build the centosplus
>> kernel, so they were also not yet done ... however I did go ahead and build
>
> I dont intend to blame anybody but kmod_xfs was a couple of days late
> for previous kernel update and I broke an xfs partition, as recorded
> in list archives.

Good, because we can not support the extras and centosplus repositories
in the same time frames as the main repositories.

> In that thread, I was told to expect such things and test better
> because xfs was not in official brunch neither in rhel nor in centos.

IF you have required kernel modules, then you should probably set the
kernels and the kmods as excluded and NOT update those automatically
(using your yum.conf file).

You can then double check when the updates are available.

I ALWAYS manually upgrade my kernels on machines that require kmods.  As
I have said many times, add on repos are supported, but they are not
supported within the same time frames.

I would also not use XFS in production ... but that is just me.  If XFS
was production ready, it would be in RHEL.  Since it is turned on in
Fedora and since it is purposely turned off in RHEL, one can reasonably
conclude that the upstream people DO NOT THINK it is stable enough to
use in production on RHEL.  This is JUST my opinion :D