[CentOS] CentOS-Samba question

John jses27 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 13:33:53 UTC 2008

 ----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of MHR
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 6:34 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS-Samba question

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 5:20 AM, John <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> """If you logged on from the Windows Guest Account then you know it is
> authenticating by the guest or nobody account that's on the Samba Server.
> The previous config file I that I stuck in the mail for you will work
> on a Windows Client machine providing there is sufficient name and ip
> address translation. It will authenticate against the samba server
"nobody" account.
> IE, as in provide anonymous user name and password authentication so
> the user will not have to enter a password. That is to get you going
> on the right path. From there you will need to incorporate some type
> of user mode authentication. You don't want the whole world to access
it."""

Clarification: "my XP guest" is my VMWare Windows XP guest OS running on top
of my CentOS host.  I use a known account to logon from the XP guest OS to
the CentOS host and all works just fine, except that I changed <something>
last night, or recently, and the guest XP can no longer see the host
"machine" in the workgroup.

This is a very minor problem, unless there's some connection we aren't
talking about yet.
.
> OK, you don't need to just open the Workgroup. All you really need to
> do is just add the share on the Samba server.

Actually, I think it was when either 5.0 or 5.1 came out that the sample
config file you sent, with a few minor differences, was posted and I have a
copy on my machine.  I used that, in part, to construct the config file I am
using.

Today, I am trying to test with the remote XP machine, and the results get
weirder (to me).  I can now see the CentOS server in the XP's network under
the workgroup, but I can't open the host for access to either the shares or
the printers.  I can still ping the server, I can even open a putty window
to it and login just fine.

But, now, I can no longer ping the XP machine from my server (!!!) at all.

I am running zonealarm (free) on the XP machine and am wondering if there
might be a problem there.  Reason I mention this is that ZA used to allow
control of access by program and by machine, but now it only offers program
control (which really stinks - any other free Win$$$ firewalls worth a hoot
out there?).  So I can't even tell if my server is getting blocked by the
firewall any more.

Foo.

Mhr
Actually my opinion on that is is to trash the ZoneAlarm Firewall. Use the
firewall that came with windows. It actually works just as good. That is if
there is someone that knows how to config it.

For your sake. The heck of it Disable all firewalls in all clients and
servers your using and see what type of access you have to the sambaserver.
See your fighting two firewalls at once on your DomU and DomO.

If I remember right ports 138 and 139 have to be open on the Win98 clients
they will work over NetBios where as xp will work over TCP/IP.

JohnStanley