[CentOS] Largish filesystems [was Re: XFS install issue]

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 17:14:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com> wrote:

> Assuming you still want those all-in-one file systems then you
> may want to look at JFS as I have heard good things about both
> it's stability and performance.
>
> Is there anyone running JFS currently that can attest to that?

I am not using JFS now, but a year ago when I was at Datallegro, we
were using JFS because we had severe problems with XFS on both SuSE
and CentOS.  IIRC, the main problem was that performance was sluggish
with XFS over fiber channel, and XFS was not as stable then as (I
would hope) it is now, on either system.  The main reason they were
using SuSE was that Novell came out with version 10.2 with the 2.6.18
kernel about a month or two before CentOS did, and they (DA) already
had a SuSE kernel set up with the infiniband drivers they needed for
the hardware.

FTR, Datallegro does massively parallel processing database
appliances, like Teradata, but cheaper, faster and in direct
competition with Teradata, which has the name and the history.  A 5TB
DB is really small for both of them, but it was spread out over
numerous nodes within the appliance, so there was no specific file
system with anything that large all in one place.

HTH

mhr