[CentOS] CentOS-Samba question

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Jun 2 17:16:20 UTC 2008

MHR wrote:
> The 98 boot has an automatic (no password) logon.  As I said, I can't
> use the Network Neighborhood to see anything on the server - in fact,
> it can't even see the workgroup, even after I double checked all the
> setting.
>
> However, I can attempt to attach to resources, but, e.g., when I try
> to attach to my mpp1100 printer, it posts a password input window for
> resource \\mhrichter\IPC$, but I can't figure out which password, and
> none of the ones I tried works.

win9X has horrible network username habits...    you need to determine
what username its running as... dirty trick, log off, and the username
should be in the login prompt, just hit enter to relogin with the same
username and the same blank local password..   on the SAMBA server,
create that username as a linux user, AND `smbuser -a username`, assign
it a smb password.   when win98 prompts for a password, thats the
username it will use, you get no choice, and win98 should be able to
'save' that password (if you check said box on the login prompt), which
causes it to be saved to a <username>.pwd file  (I think thats the name
of the password cache).

does that make sense?