[CentOS] Re: CentOS 64bits can't boot

Victor Padro vpadro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 04:23:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Joseph L. Casale <JCasale at activenetwerx.com>
wrote:

>  >And the AHCI does install CentOS, but when the install process its
> finished it boots up and says "could not mount such file system, not such
> file or directory"
>
>  Hrm, AFAIK you should use AHCI w/ CentOS. As far as it complaining after
> boot sounds like it simply didn't load the module it needed post install?
> Bizarre.
>
> Sorry,
> jlc

I've just tried installing RHEL 5 using the AHCI setting in BIOS, it does
install but as I said before "reboot and select proper boot device or insert
boot media in selected boot device and press a key" screen appears again,
and did change the AHCI setting to SATA in BIOS, and boots up with a screen
which contains lots of commands/words/keystrings etc.(really don't know the
word for that screen in english) but something caught my attention that is:

Memory for crash kernel (0x0 to 0x0) notwithin permissible range
*PCI: BIOS Bug MCFG area at e0000000 is not E020-reserved*
PCI: not using MMconfig
ACPI: Getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x3
ACPI: Getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x4

Red Hat nash version 5.1.19.6 starting
    Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
    No volume groups found
    Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory