[CentOS] CentOS-Samba question

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:00:31 UTC 2008

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:16 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>>
>> win9X has horrible network username habits...    you need to determine what
>> username its running as... dirty trick, log off, and the username should be
>> in the login prompt, just hit enter to relogin with the same username and
>> the same blank local password..   on the SAMBA server, create that username
>> as a linux user, AND `smbuser -a username`, assign it a smb password.   when
>> win98 prompts for a password, thats the username it will use, you get no
>> choice, and win98 should be able to 'save' that password (if you check said
>> box on the login prompt), which causes it to be saved to a <username>.pwd
>> file  (I think thats the name of the password cache).

More progress:

It occurred to me that somewhere along the line I had not given my
CentOS guest user smb access, so I ran smbpasswd and set the guest
password to match its login password.  When I went back to W98, I
tried to add the network printer - it recognized the name
(\\mhrichter\MPP1100) and asked for a password.  I gave it the guest
password, and it proceeded to try to install it.  I put in the CD,
went through all the (right) moves to install the driver, and then the
moment of truth:

W98 said I had to reboot.

I knew I was in trouble.  I rebooted, and, lo and behold, the printer
was suddenly offline and unavailable (there was no change to the
CentOS host or the printer at all).

I deleted the printer to start over, but this time W98 said the
printer was offline when I input the name and the password.

W98 still can't see the network or any of the shares in the Network
Neighborhood, but at least I can reach for it by name.

Any doors or windows in this wall?

Thanks.

mhr

PS: I have always said that I don't really hate Window$, I just prefer
working in and on Unix/Linux.  I don't think that's true any more,
although I must say that of all the versions of Window$ I've ever
used, XP is the least objectionable.

PPS: Yes, this is Window$ XP Pro (but I think it's still SP1), and 98
SE.  It's still Window$, a Micro$oft product, which really says it
all.