[CentOS] yum upgrade 4.3 -> current ?

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Wed Jun 4 21:51:03 UTC 2008

On Jun 4, 2008, at 4:43 PM, William L. Maltby wrote:

> Processing a huge number of dependancies (very likely going from
> 4.3->4.6) will use huge amounts. I would first upgrade yum itself
> (IIRC,
> the sqlite changed).

Tried that with a "yum -y update yum" but we're still getting clobbered.

> Then, pay attention to the dependancy processing output and pick a few
> packages at a time to upgrade. After a few passes like this, you
> should
> be able to revert to the normal update processing.

Good suggestion--I'll remember that if I ever get to the point where
it's starting to work :-)

> Another strategy that might or might not work is to go to runlevel 3
> (telinit 3) that eliminates all the graphical stuff and run from a
> normal VT. If you don't have swap enabled, make a swap partition or
> file
> of decent size and try that.

We're already there--no X is installed or running.  Swap partition is
set to 2GB--I suppose that I could add another swap file and see if
that gets me over the hump.

Yum is choking at the point where it print the first "processing