[CentOS] rpm -q versus what's installed

Scott R. Ehrlich

scott at MIT.EDU
Thu Jun 5 03:27:13 UTC 2008

I am trying to install Oracle client 10g (10.2.0) on a 64-bit CentOS 5.0
system.

'rpm -q make gcc glibc etc' reveals some packages as "not installed", yet
a yum install <package name> consistently returns Nothing to do. Yum list
available <package name> yields nothing needed.

If rpm -q <list of packages> lists some that are "not installed" but every
variant of yum install and yum list I've tried and googled claiims nothing
more needs to be installed, either the OS is misreporting (I doubt that)
or I'm missing something that is not easily being revealed, or that I
haven't used in a long time and outright forgetting.

I still need (per rpm -q):

compat-gcc
compat-gcc-c++
compat-libstsdc++-devel
openmotif21
gnome-libs

There has been a suggestion of the version of Oracle (32 or 64 bit) I'm
trying to install, but after thinking about it, I believe this question is
a more fundamental operating system issue.

Thanks for any insight.

Scott