[CentOS] Change from gnome to KDE desktop

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sun Jun 8 16:30:46 UTC 2008

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 17:31 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> What's the best way to do this?
>> Remove the yum group gnome (does this set default init to 3?), install the
>> yum group KDE and then set default init to 5 again (as I assume installing
>> KDE not during the setup will not automatically set the system to start
>> the gui?).
>
> Wait for an expert answer, before you do this, because there may be a
> better way. If I were going to do this, I would install KDE first, and
> then remove Gnome. Possibly there is a better way to do it? (I have both
> Gnome and KDE installed)

unless there's a space issue on the machine you're talking about why not
install the KDE group, run switchdesk in a terminal, set your default
desktop to KDE and not even worry about removing Gnome. There are some
dependency issues you'll run into when you attempt to remove Gnome.

--
Mark

Ignorance, like Reality, is a matter of perspective.