[CentOS] Change from gnome to KDE desktop

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sun Jun 8 16:30:46 UTC 2008

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 17:31 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> What's the best way to do this?
>> Remove the yum group gnome (does this set default init to 3?), install the
>> yum group KDE and then set default init to 5 again (as I assume installing
>> KDE not during the setup will not automatically set the system to start
>> the gui?).
> Wait for an expert answer, before you do this, because there may be a
> better way. If I were going to do this, I would install KDE first, and
> then remove Gnome. Possibly there is a better way to do it? (I have both
> Gnome and KDE installed)

unless there's a space issue on the machine you're talking about why not
install the KDE group, run switchdesk in a terminal, set your default
desktop to KDE and not even worry about removing Gnome. There are some
dependency issues you'll run into when you attempt to remove Gnome.

Ignorance, like Reality, is a matter of perspective.
- If more people used Linux, Gas would be cheaper!