[CentOS] Re: Software raid tutorial and hardware raid questions.

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 17:50:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> on 6-7-2008 9:35 AM drew einhorn spake the following:
>

> Anybody know about the
>> LSI Logic MegaRAID 8480 Storage controller
>> in particular.
>>
>>  I know that with 3ware controllers, they are always backward compatible,
> and will sell you a controller that will work. As to the "bad" activity,
> nothing will mitigate backups.

Yes, backups are absolutely neccessary,  but one hopes that in many cases a
quicker, easier, recovery is possible.  It is desirable that the filesystems
will come up with old drives and a new controller.  But sometimes that is
just not possible if a failing controller wrote bad stuff on the drives.

--
Drew Einhorn