[CentOS] School Server Setup

Harry Sukumar hsukumar at bond.edu.au
Tue Jun 10 05:03:50 UTC 2008

Hello All!!!

I was wondering if you can help me little bit....

I am trying to help (voluntary service) a country side school
(Aboriginal community) in Northern Queensland Australia setup lab
infrastructure, it's a very remote school and they don't have enough
funds to go commercial

The school has only till grade 6

They have 25 machines that was bought out of the government grant but
none of the machines come with windows

I was asked by the school president to setup lab infrastructure
currently they have Internet (Dynamic) with only two machines connected

I have asked them to change the plan to Static IP address which I
presume will be done some time this week

I have decided to go Linux on all the machines including the server

Could some one please cast some light on how I can carry on with this
project, I am not sure where to start and I am fairly new to Linux and
system administration world

Currently what's in my mind is to setup fedora on all desktop and
CentOS5 as my server with following services configured

Proxy-squid (all the traffic to pass through)

Squirrel mail

I am not sure where to start with this project

Your help will be highly appreciated by the little kids who have never
even touched a computer before in there life!!!

Many Thanks