[CentOS] School Server Setup

Ian Blackwell ian at ikel.id.au
Tue Jun 10 06:00:17 UTC 2008

Hi Harry,

Some good suggestions so far, and I would add these:-
1.   Use postfix for your email, not sendmail.  Postfix is much easier
to configure and use.
2.   Install Webmin - a web based server config tool.  This will make
package customization easier if you're new to Linux.
3.   Look into LDAP for centralized user authentication.  You don't want
to have to create users on 24 machines if you don't need to.

If you're keen to host your own email and web site, then you'll need a
domain name that is linked to your IP address - e.g.
somewhereinFNQ.qld.edu.au
I guess you'll need to liaise with the Qld Edu department on making
those DNS changes.

Anyway, if you get stuck with anything, please don't hesitate to contact
me off-line if you prefer.  I'm in the Adelaide Hills, so in global
terms that's just next door really.

Cheers,

Ian