[CentOS] netboot, vnc and no keyboard/mouse/monitor

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Tue Jun 10 07:31:52 UTC 2008

dnk wrote:
> hey guys,
>
> I just created a custom netboot cd, that launches and loads from a
> http source, but connects to a vnc listening viewer. All in all, not
> hard to do, but what is different with this one is that it skips the
> media check, has no prompts and allows you to start the install on a
> machine that has no keyboard/mouse/monitor. Was handy for me as when i
> have some boxes to load, I just plug in power and ethernet in the
> corner (or where ever I have room) and go through the install.
>
> I know it also works with a cd as a source (if you use it from cd 1),
> and assume it would also work with a DVD (have not tested yet).
>
> If you would like it, I can add to the wiki if anyone would like it.
You can do the same from a usb key/stick ... I even prefer that method
so that i don't have to run mkisofs to recreate the netboot.iso image
and burn it ...
I've also created a menu (thanks to syslinux.cfg) on the usb key to boot
different install (centos 4 and 5 in i386 and x86_64 flavors) with
several parameters included ... easier and faster to maintain than a
netboot.iso file (my opinion) ...
But the best is always PXE booting anyway ... :D
There is already a pxe menu howto on the wiki, but i don't mind seeing a
3 lines explanation about modifying the netboot.iso image ... that's
just the isolinux.cfg to modify , mkisofs to create the iso and burn .. ;-)

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>