[CentOS] [Off Topic, kind of] eMachine model T5254

Tue Jun 10 19:41:50 UTC 2008

On 6/10/08, Bob Taylor <bob8221 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Best Buy currently has an eMachine on sale for less than $300.00
> without monitor. I didn't see any recent complaints on
> www.consumeraffairs.com. I didn't take the time to do a thourgh search
> so may have missed some. Red Hat hardware list does not have one
> eMachine listed. I went to eMachine's home page and found the following:
>
> AMD Athlon™ BE-2350 dual-core processor
> NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 6100
> 2048MB DDR2 dual-channel
> 320GB 7200rpm SATA II
> 16x DVD±R/RW SuperMulti drive
> High-performance 15-in-1 digital media card reader
> 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
>
> They do not list the manufacturer/model of the media card reader and
> audio.
>
> Any hardware guru see any problems?

HW guru I am not. Linux guru I am not. I have a suggestion for you,
which I believe is a valid one: Take a Knoppix Live CD (that you've
previously tested on another box and know  is working properly) or a
CentOS Live CD, with you to the store. Boot the box with it and see if
the HW works with Linux, before you buy. Preferably, do this on *the*
box you are going to buy, in case the HW in the floor sample and the
one you are going to buy are not identical. Sounds very cheap and I'd
like to have one too.  Does Best Buy let one bring something back, for
a refund, within a certain number of days, if they are not satisfied
with the product?