[CentOS] LDAP syncrepl incompatibility between CentOS 4.x and 5.x

Brett Serkez bserkez at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 22:53:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> That said, I don't recall syncrepl ever working in 2.2.x and have used
> slurpd for replicating with 2.2 but if the OP says he thinks he had it
> running, well, I'm not gonna argue with him.

syncrepl 2.2.x works fine between CentOS 4 systems as installed via
yum.  I just used this today, made changes on the master that I needed
on to use on the slave, the replication was instant.

The issue is between 2.2.x and 2.3.x.  What I said I thought worked
was replication from CentOS 4.x to CentOS 5.x (ie. 2.2.x -> 2.3.x), as
when I brought the CentOS 5.x on-line and started slapd,  the LDAP
database was almost instantly available.  I never used any other
method to load the LDAP data on the CentOS 5.x system from the CentOS
4.x master.

It is only recently that I noticed the replication failing, I believe
after a recent yum update.

I have looked at using yum to regress the version of LDAP on the
CentOS 5.x system, but it seems I needed to have turned on a yum
option before the update to do this.  I also noticed all the
dependencies as far as trying to build myself.

My assumption is that eventually newer versions of LDAP will be
available that will work.

Brett