[CentOS] RE: School Server Setup-Summary

Harry Sukumar

hsukumar at bond.edu.au
Thu Jun 12 01:16:22 UTC 2008

Dear All,

Thank you very much to every one on the list for the sincere suggestion
and recommendations

I have received amazing response from all; I will try to recap

a)     Use CentOS for server infrastructure and fedora 8 on the
workstations

b)     Use K12ltsp-terminal server and all the client machines as thin
clients

c)      Use CentOS as Server and Ubuntu as client OS

d)     Use RHEL on the server ( NO RHEL NO CENTOS)

e)     Use SME from Contribs.org for server and ubuntu for clients

f)      Use Scientific Linux (binary compatibility with RHEL) for Server

g)     Clarkconnect for server side and Ubuntu or FC on client side

h)     Use IPcop as firewall

Although ClarkConnect, SME are based on RHEL, I have decided not to go
on that path because of lack of large community behind them + Vendor
Lock-In

With K12ltsp- sounds very nice but I don't have a large and grunty
server I have to make the workstation as server, probably a good option
if I had a powerful server :-(

With serious consideration I have decided to go with suggestion a) Use
CentOS for server infrastructure and Fedora 8 on workstation and have
old machine running IPCop as firewall

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all, this mailing
list is by far the best I have ever seen, I would like to specially
thank Ian Blackwell for offering more support and help;

I will keep you updated on this project, I am sure there will be a lot
of question and problem that will raise and conjure from this project

Once again thank you all for the help and effort

--

Harry Sukumar