[CentOS] Problems installing 5.1 on a Tyan Thunder HEsl with a SCSI controller

Timothy Selivanow

timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com
Thu Jun 12 04:03:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to install 5.1 using the onboard LSI Symbios 53C1010, and I'm
running into some trouble.  When the computer first boots, the SCSI BIOS
sees the three HDDs, but when I go to install, the installer hangs for a
while at inserting the sym53c8xx driver and if I go over to the screen
on F4 it shows that it is trying to scan the SCSI bus and is resetting
all of the IDs.  Once that is done, it moves on the the actual
installer, but does not see any drives.

I'm kind of at a loss at the moment.  I feel like there would be a
kernel boot option that I could give the installer, but I don't know
what that would be.  I know the SCSI IDs of the three HDDs (and the
controller), is there a way to say "just use these IDs and move along"?

I'm currently downloading a Fedora 9 CD (I don't have a spare DVDROM) to
see if a newer kernel will help, as going back down to CentOS 5.0 didn't
(I had it at hand).

Thanks for any help!

--Tim